Tag Archives: 南京殷巷还有吗

Key testimony from secret witness at 13th hearing in Hrant Dink murder trial

first_imgNews to go further TurkeyEurope – Central Asia News Turkey’s never-ending judicial persecution of former newspaper editor TurkeyEurope – Central Asia Human rights groups warns European leaders before Turkey summit Journalists threatened with imprisonment under Turkey’s terrorism law Follow the news on Turkey Help by sharing this information April 28, 2021 Find out morecenter_img News Organisation May 20, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Key testimony from secret witness at 13th hearing in Hrant Dink murder trial April 2, 2021 Find out more April 2, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts News Important testimony was given at the 13th hearing in the trial of Turkish-Armenian newspaper editor Hrant Dink’s alleged killers in Istanbul on 10 May. A witness, whose identity was not revealed, identified three of the defendants as being at the scene of Dink’s fatal shooting outside his newspaper on 19 January 2007.Testifying that the main suspect and alleged shooter, Ogün Samast, was not alone, the secret witness said Yasin Hayal (one of the alleged masterminds) and his brother, Osman Hayal, were also there and that Osman Hayal also fired shots at Dink. The trial’s attention is now focused on these three men.The witness said he saw a man aged around 40-45 approach Dink and address him briefly, holding him by one hand. He then saw two other men approach and surround Dink. After giving a fairly detailed physical description of one of the men, the witness said he saw that he was holding a gun and appeared to be under the effects of drugs.“This person fired two shots at Dink, I remember it clearly,” he said. “I noticed that the other person was Ogün Samast. He also then fired two shots and shouted at the journalist, using the word ‘Armenian’.”Samast and Yasin Hayal dispute this testimony, saying it is not credible. Samast said he committed the murder on his own, insisting that: “Everyone knows that Yasin Hayal was somewhere else that day.”Two of the defendants were released after this testimony. Only three of the defendants are still in custody. They are Samast, Yasin Hayal and Erhan Tuncal, a police informer in Trabzon, Samast’s home town.Dink’s window, Rakel, was present at the 13th hearing as she has been at all of the previous ones, accompanied by her lawyers. Lawyers from the Paris bar association and a parliamentary representative of the Peace and Democracy Party (BDP) also attended the 10 May hearing.Reporters Without Borders welcomes the latest signs of progress in the trial but regrets that the court refused to hear testimony from foreign intelligence chief Sabri Uzun, who recently said he had not been told about the threats to Dink’s life as he had not been given the case files. He added that, if the proper procedure had been respected, Dink would still be alive. Uzun would not have been able to identify the killer, but his testimony would have drawn attention to the problems within the Turkish security services, which should have been able to protect Dink. RSF_en last_img read more

Limerick councillors in show of solidarity with Dunnes workers

first_imgFamilies and workers must be supported through public health emergency NewsLocal NewsLimerick councillors in show of solidarity with Dunnes workersBy Alan Jacques – April 10, 2015 1182 WhatsApp Twitter TAGSAnti Austerity AllianceCllr John LoftusCllr Maurice QuinlivanCllr Paul KellerDunnes StoresFianna FáillimerickNiall Collins TDSinn Fein Facebook Advertisement Linkedin Email Council to look at reasons behind city business closures center_img Previous articleRugby – All Ireland league enters final weekend #ublNext articleRUGBY – Munster at full strength for Edinburgh clash Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie Print Limerick worst affected for trolley numbers Councillor’s show and tell of Limerick litter problem Jetland opens a new chapter in Dunne’s Limerick story RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Minister Harris “missing in action again” as crisis in University Hospital Limerick is raised in Dáil says Limerick TD by Alan [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Sinn Fein councillors Seamus Browne, Maurice Quinlivan, Lisa Marie Sheehy, Seighin O Ceallaigh and Malachy McCreesh with Dunnes Stores workers in Limerick.LOCAL politicians expressed their firm support for the Dunnes Stores during their one day strike in Limerick last Thursday over the imposition of zero hour contracts.Fianna Fáil Justice spokesman Niall Collins was one of the first on the picket line while Sinn Féin leader on Limerick City and County Council, Cllr Maurice Quinlivan, expressed his party’s support for the introduction of a living wage as he joined staff outside Dunnes stores at Jetland and Howley’s Quay.“The application of zero hour contracts, and the imposition of low pay rates are sources of great hardship for working families. They damage any hope of a real recovery.” said Cllr Quinlivan.“Dunnes workers have been left with no option but to engage in industrial action in an effort to secure fair pay and secure hours. They, and the 129,000 low-paid workers in this state, deserve certainty about their hours of work and income,” he added.Limerick’s three Anti-Austerity Alliance councillors also offered full support and solidarity to Dunnes Stores workers during their strike action. Cllr John Loftus called on people to support this “important strike” by not passing the pickets and to stand in solidarity with the workers.“Dunnes Stores is a major, profitable company which is using low-hours contracts to maximise its profits,” said Cllr Loftus.Fellow AAA councillor Paul Keller said the strike was an important step in the fight against the return of 19th century working conditions through the spread of low hour contracts.“These contracts have been used by management as a weapon to punish and bully workers through the withdrawal of hours from one week to the next,”  he claimed.last_img read more

Why Andy Murray wrote “marriage works” after beating Nadal

first_imgAndy Murray has continued his incredible run of form since marrying Kim Sears in Dunblane last month, taking his unbeaten streak to nine matches while beating Rafael Nadal to win the Madrid Open in spectacular fashion.Murray has now secured two consecutive titles on the red dirt since the wedding, having never previously won on the surface, and his comprehensive 6-3 6-2 win over Nadal was as unexpected as it was stunning. Murray, who punched the air in delight after beating the ‘King of Clay’, proceeded to mark his improbable triumph in Madrid by signing the on-court TV camera, accompanied by the message ‘marriage works’.It was a fitting message to make after the inspired form that he has shown since he married Sears at his Cromlix House venue with Murray clearly feeling as relaxed and comfortable with his game as ever.“It (marriage) has been nice and a lot of people have spoken about the honeymoon period,” Murray told Sky Sports after the match.“But we’ve been together a very long time and getting married was the next step. I’ve always said if the personal stuff is happy and under control that helps your performance on the court.  “But I also feel healthy this year and I have trained well, I’m in much better shape on the clay than I have been for a number of years.” His unlikely victory over the usually dominant Nadal on the surface – which has always been his least favourite – came just a week after he became the first Brit to land a title on clay since 1976 by beating Philipp Kohlschreiber in a three-hour battle at the Munich Open.–last_img read more