Australia reported a record 501 new coronavirus infections Wednesday, nearly four months after the pandemic initially peaked in the country, with authorities warning of a critical new phase in its two biggest cities. Most of the cases were reported in Victoria state, where authorities have struggled to bring an outbreak in Melbourne under control despite an almost two-week lockdown on Australia’s second-biggest city. Australia’s new coronavirus infections previously peaked on March 28 when 459 cases were reported, according to data compiled by AFP, before the country appeared to bring the virus under control and began easing harsh restrictions. Australia, like neighboring New Zealand, has been lauded for its pandemic response.Victoria Premier Daniel Andrews announced 484 new cases and two more deaths in the state Wednesday, bringing the state’s total active cases to just over 3,400.Australia has now recorded almost 13,000 cases of COVID-19 and 128 fatalities in a country of about 25 million.Melbourne residents will be required to wear masks outside from midnight — making the city the first place in Australia to mandate face coverings in public — in a new effort to slow the virus spread. But Andrews said “further behavior change” would still be required, after analysis showed almost nine in 10 people diagnosed with coronavirus over the two weeks to Tuesday did not self-isolate between feeling sick and seeking a COVID-19 test.Just over half of people also failed to stay at home between being tested and receiving their results, he added, saying authorities believed insecure work conditions were a key driver of the trend.Andrews said casual workers across a range of industries, who do not get sick leave provisions, were worried about “feeding their kids, paying their bills” but could apply for a Aus$1,500 ($1,070) hardship payment if they contract the virus.There are growing fears about the virus spreading through vulnerable populations after outbreaks at several nursing homes while inmates at six prisons have been confined to their cells after a guard tested positive.The outbreak has left Australia rattled and dampened hopes of a speedy economic recovery. Topics : ‘Most critical’ An inquiry into how the virus spread in Melbourne heard this week that many cases were likely linked to infection control breaches at hotels used to quarantine residents returning from overseas.Victoria has effectively been sealed off from the rest of the country in an effort to contain the virus, but new cases have been detected in neighboring New South Wales state.New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian described the coming weeks as “the most critical” since the height of the last lockdown, when the state held the mantle of Australia’s hardest-hit region.Several clusters have emerged in Sydney, which health officials believe sprung up after an infected man from Melbourne visited a popular pub.”We are not out of the woods by any stretch, quite the opposite,” Berejiklian told a press conference. “We remain on high alert and we have some level of anxiety as to the extent of community transmission.”Berejiklian said new restrictions would come into force Friday to tighten rules for bars, cafes, weddings and funerals, warning they could still be extended further.”A lack of compliance now has made us go down the compulsory path and we don’t apologize for that,” she said.Some states and territories were due to report daily figures later Wednesday but new community outbreaks have not been detected in less-populated regions for weeks.
Published on January 12, 2011 at 12:00 pm Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ NEW YORK –– Pump fake. One dribble. Side-step. Swoosh. Repeat.Brandon Triche does it in practice. He did it at the Prudential Center to carry SU to a sloppy win Saturday over Seton Hall.And on what Triche equates to a basketball ‘stage’, Madison Square Garden, fundamental shooting was on full display in the second half Wednesday for the Syracuse guard. He did it Wednesday after one of his trademark disappearing acts in the first half in No. 4 SU’s 76-59 win over St. John’s. The sophomore guard totaled three 3-pointers, finishing the game with 15 points before SU head coach Jim Boeheim pulled him in the game’s final minutes.He knows his role as a shooting guard. A role he has amplified and embraced on Syracuse’s latest road swing.‘I am going to just have to knock down open shots,’ Triche said.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textUnder the MSG lights he and his Syracuse teammates love – the ones they stole from St. John’s, yet again – Triche opened up for a pivotal second half shooting performance. For the second straight game, he did the best of his work in a short amount of time, in the second half.Confidence exemplified through simple fundamentals. It was exactly what SU head coach Jim Boeheim wants to see. A brash attitude and emotion exemplified through quiet smart decisions. Point after point from knowing to be in the right spot.It’s becoming classic Triche.Yet, the head coach is still wondering why Triche doesn’t perform at a high level from the tip-off. It’s almost as if Boeheim expects it not to come, but knows he can rely on the fact Triche’s play will rise to another level. And it will in bunches.‘He doesn’t shoot the first 10 minutes,’ Boeheim said. ‘He waits to see if we need him and then he starts to play after that.’Wednesday, Triche pulled the trigger a little more than Boeheim gave credit for in the first 10 minutes. He attempted two 3-pointers in the game’s first five minutes. But from there until the half’s final minute, he didn’t attempt anything but a dunk and a layup.Kris Joseph and Scoop Jardine say they know Triche tends to play this way, as well. Drive and kicks from the two SU juniors, the team’s leading scorers on the season, are sometimes a must to get Triche going. It’s all about good shots for the team as a whole.And Triche as well. Because, sometimes without those open looks to start games, the shooting guard wanders.‘We are penetrating and kicking making the defense converge to one person,’ Joseph said of Triche’s shooting success. ‘It is a high percentage shot.’High percentage is exactly what Triche has become. In the Seton Hall and St. John’s games combined, he has shot 11-of-18 overall (61 percent) and 7-of-11 from 3 (64 percent).More important than the percentage may be the timeliness. By the time he left the game at MSG Wednesday, Triche’s eight second half points turned an 11-point lead into a 20-point blowout. The niche he has carved for himself — second half sharpshooter — was again being practiced. Sometimes via pump-fake. Sometimes via a Jardine drive-and-kick.Despite another disappearing act in the first half, Triche was there in the second half to put the game away. The selfless point guard has given up the reigns of the SU offense to Jardine, finding a new role for himself as the fundamental shooter.And for the fundamental shooter, he is just one part of the subsequent fundamental stages of SU team-ball.Said Triche: ‘Me having that ability is going to open up the floor and open up better driving lanes.’[email protected]
It’s been reported that Tipperary’s senior hurlers have decided they WILL play in the Munster League in January – but the senior footballers have opted out of the equivalent McGrath Cup.With a tighter than usual fixture list for the 2018 season, it was thought the hurlers may opt to wait to begin their season with the National League.However, it’s the footballers who’ve opted out of their competition in favour of waiting to start their campaign a few weeks later in the year.
Salzburg, Austria | AFP | Liverpool struck twice in two minutes through Naby Keita and Mohamed Salah to avoid an embarrassing early Champions League exit by winning 2-0 in Salzburg on Tuesday.The European champions needed to avoid defeat against the Austrian champions to book their place in the last 16 and victory ensured they did so as winners of Group E ahead of Napoli.Salah had been guilty of missing a host of big chances as Liverpool walked a tightrope for nearly an hour, but made amends with a sumptuous finish from a narrow angle after Keita’s header had settled the holders’ nerves.Salzburg had scored 87 goals in 24 previous games this season, including three when Liverpool edged a seven-goal thriller between the two back in October.But Norwegian wonder kid Erling Braut Haaland was thwarted as the Reds recorded their first clean sheet in the Champions League this season.Liverpool needed goalkeeper Alisson Becker to be at his best early on as the Brazilian blocked from Takumi Minamino and Haaland.However, the better chances were coming for the Premier League leaders at the other end.Salah dragged his first big chance wide on his favoured left foot at the end of a brilliant Liverpool break from one end of the field to the other.Keita had been rewarded for his goalscoring return to the team in Saturday’s 3-0 win at Bournemouth and seemed keen to make a mark against his former side. But the Guinea midfielder failed to beat Cican Stankovic when played in by Salah’s slick reverse pass in first half stoppage time.Salah was the culprit of more missed opportunities at the start of the second half when he fired over from Sadio Mane’s brilliant through ball and seconds later he was denied by Stankovic as he tried to round the goalkeeper.Liverpool’s profligacy could have been punished when Haaland had his big chance to live up to the hype linking him with a host of Europe’s top clubs, but the 19-year-old hit the side-netting with just Alisson to beat.Seconds later the visitors finally made the breakthrough when the two ex-Salzburg men in Mane and Keita combined.Stankovic rashly rushed off his line as Mane sped onto Andy Robertson’s pass and his dinked cross was headed into an unguarded net by Keita.A minute later, any hope left for Salzburg to spring an upset evaporated when Salah implausibly scored from the most difficult chance he had all evening.The Egyptian seemed to have been forced too far wide on his right foot as Stankovic raced from his goal once again, but Salah somehow bent the ball with unerring accuracy into the far corner.In each of the last two seasons Liverpool have also needed to get points in their final group game before going onto reach the final and no one will want to face Klopp’s men again come the knockout stages.A first Premier League title in 30 years may be the priority on Merseyside with an eight-point lead over Leicester at the top of the table.Share on: WhatsApp
The Mount Sentinel Wildcats climbed into the top-10 rankings of BC High School A Boy’s Volleyball after finishing second at the Vernon Christian Invitational Tournament this past weekend in the Central Okanagan City. Mount Sentinel lost out in the final to Cedars Christian from Prince George.The Cats were led by allstars Thomas Verigin and Johnny Johnson.Mount Sentinel finished first in round-robin play on Friday before ousting Kelowna Christian in the semi-final to advance to the championship contest.
Granite Pointe General Manager Dave Belling said the driving range and pro shop will open Saturday for players to get a head start on the season.Belling, said the 18-hole 6,209 yard, par 72 track will be open for play Wednesday as well as the rest of facilities at the Rosemont based track.The season is already lining up to be a great one at Granite Pointe.Some of the highlight tournaments include the Save-on-Foods Children’s Hospital event, Nelson Rotary Cup and Granite Pointe Corporate Cup.This season Granite Pointe, already blessed with a vibrant Junior program, is hosting more than 140 elite golfers under the age of 16 years at the BC Amateur Golf 2017 BC Juvenile Championships August 15-18. It’s time for golfer to dust of the clubs as Granite Pointe at Nelson is getting ready to open for the 2017 season.
The shot worked on every level you can imagine. For starters, it was a game-winner at the end of a game … By now you’ve probably heard or seen the blind heave that the Miami Heat’s Dwyane Wade banked home from behind the arc to crush the Warriors’ collective soul Wednesday night.No worries. We’ve got a spare copy you can watch:D-WADE BEATS THE WARRIORS ON A GAME WINNER 🚨🚨🚨 @DwyaneWade (via prideofcucamonga/IG) pic.twitter.com/8s8llr9PUD— Overtime (@overtime) February 28, 2019
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Water quality efforts, transportation and infrastructure, and wildlife management were among the priorities set by delegates at Ohio Farm Bureau’s 101st annual meeting.The approved policies set the direction for the organization’s activities in the coming year. A record 381 delegates representing all county Farm Bureaus participated in the debate and discussion.During the meeting held in Columbus, delegates heard from Gov. Mike DeWine on the important role Ohio Farm Bureau had in shaping the direction of the recently unveiled H2Ohio initiative and water quality programs. Members supported incentives for performing on-farm nutrient management trials that address water quality, along with the ongoing partnerships of statewide conservation efforts, including the newly formed Ohio Agriculture Conservation Initiative, of which Ohio Farm Bureau is a member.Efficient transportation is vital to a robust agriculture sector in Ohio, and delegates discussed finding a balance between the need to deliver farm products while maintaining roadways and bridges.Protections on the farm from wildlife and predators also were considered. Attendees discussed the need for sensible hunting regulations that respect the concerns of farmers, including the security of livestock and crops.Other policy votes addressed property rights, education and permanent daylight saving time.More than 600 members and guests attended the meeting in Columbus Dec. 4-5. Ohio Farm Bureau’s mission is working together for Ohio farmers to advance agriculture and strengthen our communities.Questions should be directed to Ty Higgins, 614-246-8231.
Related Posts A Comprehensive Guide to a Content Audit jolie odell Guide to Performing Bulk Email Verification Facebook is Becoming Less Personal and More Pro… The Dos and Don’ts of Brand Awareness Videos According to figures released today by the singularly focused blog Inside Facebook, the ubiquitous social network made upwards of $700 million in 2009 and is expected to reach a phenomenal $1 billion in revenues in 2010.Year over year, Facebook’s revenues have typically doubled, from $150 million in 2007 to around $300 million in 2008 and so on. The breakdown of revenue streams is fascinating, showing the extent to which well-targeted ads based on massive amounts of user data still drives how we monetize the Web. These data also show how much some have underestimated the market for virtual goods and the real-world value of virtual currency – as much as $10 million in 2009 alone, still in beta and just for one social network.Last year, brand advertising and performance advertising are estimated to have netted $225 million and $350 million for the company, respectively. Microsoft ads alone brought in $50 million.All this cash flow makes the $10 million Facebook earned from its still-in-beta Facebook Credits system seem puny. We wonder how much this figure will increase when Credits are rolled out for all users and all applications. A common rumor about Credits is that this virtual currency will become the mandatory, de facto method of purchasing virtual goods – from Gifts to in-game accessories – on Facebook. If that were to happen, Facebook (which takes a 30 percent cut of all Credits revenue) stands to make a great deal more than $10 million as it takes on the role of virtual currency exchange.Facebook has stated it will not comment on these figures or speculation about future revenues. However, it is completely clear that this company has found a way to make the Web dramatically profitable. They’ve done so by honing their revenue streams, getting creative with brands, tweaking their UX to maximize time and money spend on the site and targeting ads based on user data. And these revenues will only continue to grow as Facebook edges out competing networks for users’ attention and brands’ ad spend. Tags:#Facebook#web
A 0-4 loss away in Dushanbe three weeks ago meant the Busmen fell 1-5 on aggregate and sent Istiklol to the inter-zone finals where it will face either Bengaluru of India or 4.25 of North Korea.Super Herrera gave Ceres a glimmer of hope with a header off a corner in the 34th minute. But Dimitri Barkov pulled a goal back for the visitors just before the break, leaving the Busmen with a deficit too difficult to rise from.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutCeres-Negros faces next a compressed domestic schedule that could see the Busmen play an average of two matches a week in the Philippines Football League.The Busmen’s run to the AFC Cup Asean zone crown has seen them postpone several matches in the PFL. LATEST STORIES Frontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients Read Next Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC MOST READ Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversary BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fight WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president Pradera Verde crowds favorites for Pal Ladies crown Having played just 12 of the 28 matches so far with three months remaining in the season, the Busmen have plenty of catching up to do in the domestic league, which is expected to be finished in the third week of December. View comments Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. BACOLOD CITY—Ceres-Negros’ historic AFC Cup run came to an end Tuesday night at the hands of a big, strong and organized side from Central Asia.Facing a deficit that even the strongest teams can’t overcome, the Busmen were knocked out of the competition after a 1-1 draw with Istiklol of Tajikistan in the second leg of the inter zone semifinals at Panaad Stadium here.ADVERTISEMENT E.T. returns to earth, reunites with grown-up Elliott in new ad