Mr Speaker, with permission, I would like to make a Statement on last week’s European Council.Before turning to Brexit, let me touch on two significant conclusions from the other business of the Council.First, we expressed our utmost concern over the escalation we have seen at the Kerch Straits and the Sea of Azov and Russia’s continued violations of international law.We agreed to roll-over economic sanctions against Russia and we stand ready to further strengthen our support, in particular, for the affected areas of Ukraine.And second, we also agreed to work together on tackling the spread of deliberate, large-scale and systematic disinformation, including as part of hybrid warfare. On this I outlined some of the world-leading work that the UK is doing in this field.And I was clear that after we have left the European Union, the UK will continue to work closely with our European partners to uphold the international rules based system and to keep all our people safe.And that is why it is right that our Brexit deal includes the deepest security partnership that has ever been agreed with the EU.Mr Speaker, at this Council I faithfully and firmly reflected the concerns of this House over the Northern Ireland backstop.I explained the assurances we had already agreed with the EU were insufficient for this House – and that we had to go further in showing that we never want to use this backstop and, if it is used, it must be a temporary arrangement.Some of the resulting exchanges at this Council were robust.But I make no apology for standing up for the interests of this House and the interests of our whole United Kingdom.In response, the EU 27 published a series of conclusions.They made clear that it is their – and I quote – “firm determination to work speedily on a subsequent agreement that establishes by 31st December 2020 alternative arrangements, so that the backstop will not need to be triggered.”The House will forgive me, but I think this bears repeating: “the backstop will not need to be triggered.”They underlined that “if the backstop were nevertheless to be triggered, it would apply temporarily.”They said that in this event the EU “would use its best endeavours to negotiate and conclude expeditiously a subsequent agreement that would replace the backstop.”And they gave a new assurance in relation to the Future Partnership with the UK, to make it even less likely that the backstop would ever be needed by stating that the EU “stands ready to embark on preparations immediately after signature of the Withdrawal Agreement to ensure that negotiations can start as soon as possible after the UK’s withdrawal.”Mr Speaker, in these conclusions, in their statements at the Council and in their private meetings with me, my fellow EU leaders could not have been clearer – they do not want to use this backstop. They want to agree the best possible future relationship with us. There is no plot to keep us in the backstop.Indeed, President Macron said on Friday – “we can clarify and reassure…the backstop is not our objective, it is not a durable solution and nobody is trying to lock the UK into the backstop.”As formal conclusions from a European Council, these commitments have legal status and should be welcomed. They go further than the EU has ever done previously in trying to address the concerns of this House.And of course they sit on top of the commitments that we have already negotiated in relation to the backstop: including……ensuring the customs element is UK-wide;…that both sides are legally committed to using best endeavours to have our new relationship in place before the end of the Implementation Period;…that if the new relationship isn’t ready we can choose to extend the Implementation Period instead of the backstop coming into force;…that if the backstop does come in, we can use alternative arrangements, not just the future relationship, to get out of it;…that the treaty is clear the backstop can only ever be temporary;…and that there is an explicit termination clause.But Mr Speaker, I know this House is still deeply uncomfortable about the backstop.And I understand that. And I want us to go further still in the reassurances we secure.Discussions with my EU partners – including Presidents Tusk, Juncker and others – have shown that further clarification following the Council’s conclusions is in fact possible.So discussions are continuing to explore further political and legal assurances.We are also looking closely at new ways of empowering the House of Commons to ensure that any provision for a backstop has democratic legitimacy and to enable the House to place its own obligations on the government to ensure that the backstop cannot be in place indefinitely.But it is now only just over 14 weeks until the UK leaves the EU. And I know many Members of this House are concerned that we need to take a decision soon.My Rt Hon Friend, the Leader of the House, will set out business on Thursday in the usual way.But I can confirm today that we intend to return to the Meaningful Vote debate in the week commencing 7th January and hold the vote the following week.Mr Speaker, when we have the vote, Members will need to reflect carefully on what is in the best interests of our country.I know that there are a range of very strongly held personal views on this issue across the House. And I respect all of them.But expressing our personal views is not what we are here to do.We asked the British people to take this decision.472 current Members of this House voted for the Referendum in June 2015, with just 32 voting against.And the British people responded by instructing us to leave the European Union.Similarly 438 current Members of this House voted to trigger Article 50, to set the process of our departure in motion, with only 85 of today’s Members voting against.Now we must honour our duty to finish the job.I know this is not everyone’s perfect deal. It is a compromise.But if we let the perfect be the enemy of the good then we risk leaving the EU with no deal.Of course we have prepared for no deal, and tomorrow the Cabinet will be discussing the next phase in ensuring we are ready for that scenario.But let us not risk the jobs, services and security of the people we serve by turning our backs on an agreement with our neighbours that honours the referendum and provides for a smooth and orderly exit.Avoiding no deal is only possible if we can reach an agreement or if we abandon Brexit entirely.And as I said in the debate earlier this month – “do not imagine that if we vote this down, a different deal is going to miraculously appear.”If you want proof, look at the Conclusions of this Council.As President Juncker said: “it is the best deal possible and the only deal possible”And any proposal for the future relationship – whether Norway, Canada, or any other variety that has been mentioned – would require agreeing this Withdrawal Agreement.The Leader of the Opposition – as well as some others – are trying to pretend they could do otherwise.This is a fiction.Finally let us not break faith with the British people by trying to stage another referendum.Another vote which would do irreparable damage to the integrity of our politics, because it would say to millions who trusted in democracy, that our democracy does not deliver.Another vote which would likely leave us no further forward than the last.And another vote which would further divide our country at the very moment we should be working to unite it.And let us not follow the Leader of the Opposition in thinking about what gives him the best chance of forcing a General Election.For at this critical moment in our history, we should be thinking not about our party’s interests, but about the national interest.Let us a find a way to come together and work together in the national interest to see this Brexit through.Mr Speaker, I will work tirelessly over these new few weeks to fulfil my responsibility as Prime Minister to find a way forwards.Over the last two weeks, I have met quite a number of colleagues and I am happy to continue to do so on this important issue so that we can fulfil our responsibilities to the British people.So together, we can take back control of our borders, laws and money; while protecting the jobs, the security and the integrity of our precious United Kingdom.So together we can move on to finalising the future relationship with the European Union and the trade deals with the rest of the world that can fuel our prosperity for years to come.And so together we can get this Brexit done and shift the national focus to our domestic priorities – investing in our NHS, our schools and housing; tackling the injustices that so many still face; and building a country that truly works for everyone.For these are the ways in which, together, this House will best serve the interests of the British people.And I commend this Statement to the House.
The Lakers then met Cato-Meridian on Wednesday, ending a four-game homestand at Burton Street Elementary by again controlling matters on both sides of the ball and earning a second consecutive 5-0 shutout.Not only did Cazenovia convert a lot, it spread things around. Five different players had the five goals as Lounsbury, Basic, Brown, Lily Sorbello and Ava Hartley all scored, with Sorbello joining Wilmot and Sammy Sparks in the assist column. \Moving on to Camden, the Lakers faced Afton/Harpursville in the first round as the host Blue Devils faced Vestal. Both local teams would have major struggles. Cazenovia took a 5-0 defeat to Afton, while Camden got overwhelmed, too, in a 6-1 defeat to Vestal, meaning that the Lakers and Blue Devils would face each other in Saturday’s consolation game.This one was much closer, but the Lakers still lost, 1-0, to the Blue Devils, who got on the board in the first half with Erin Walker’s goal, assisted by P Halbritter, and made that margin stick the rest of the way, holding Cazenovia to just two shots.Now at 5-4-1 on the season, the Lakers would travel to Port Byron/Union Springs Tuesday and Weesdport on Thursday before Friday’s Senior Day game against Homer at Burton Street.Share this:FacebookTwitterLinkedInRedditComment on this Story When the Cazenovia field hockey team returned to Camden to participate in the Blue Devils’ annual tournament last weekend, it did so after a first half of the regular season that turned out quite successful, given the early obstacles.The Lakers were 3-2-1 going into last Monday’s game against Homer, but proceeded to score three times in the first half and go on to blank the Trojans 5-0.Not showing any rust in a six-day layoff following a 1-1 tie with Weedsport on Sept. 17, Carey Lounsbury and Peyton Basic led Cazenovia’s attack, each scoring twice. Elora Wilmot earned the other goal as Molly Brown picked up a pair of assists and Emmy Knapp also had an assist. Tags: Cazenoviafield hockey
Liberia FA president Musa Bility is to appeal against Fifa’s decision to prevent him from standing in its presidential election in February.Bility failed an integrity check carried out by the ethics commission of world football’s governing body.He is appealing to the Court of Arbitration for Sport to allow him to stand in the election and a hearing could take place before Christmas.Bility was given a six-month ban from all football activities in 2013.The ban was imposed by the Confederation of African Football for using confidential documents from the governing body in a legal challenge against its president, Issa Hayatou.Bility said in November he had been informed by Fifa that his candidacy was “principally rejected” because of the ban. Hayatou is currently acting Fifa president after Sepp Blatter, vice-president Michel Platini and general secretary Jerome Valcke were all suspended over corruption allegations.Fifa has approved five presidential candidates, with Platini also not included.–Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySports
SAN JOSE — Six weeks can seem like an eternity in NHL time.When the Sharks last met up with the Ottawa Senators on Dec. 1, the team lost its fifth game in six tries, raising questions about its status as a Stanley Cup contender and whether the organization made the right move by trading for Erik Karlsson on the eve of training camp.Now, with the Senators in town for Saturday’s rematch at SAP Center, the Sharks are reborn. The squad is 14-3-2 since the debacle in Canada’s capitol. The group is …
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest By Kolt BuchenrothThe Ohio House of Representatives has placed their seal of approval on their version of the State’s operating budget totaling $69 billion. The bill, which passed 85-9 was massive in size and covers a lot of ground. Several pieces of the bill relate to agriculture.“We are following some provisions dealing with water taxes, agricultural products, education that are really important under Farm Bureau policy,” said Jenna Beadle, Ohio Farm Bureau director of state policy.It’s no surprise that the House’s version of the budget relates in large part to water quality and Ohio Governor Mike DeWine’s H2Ohio Program. The bill’s language says in part that the initiative encourages cooperation among government, business, higher education, agriculture, and conservation organizations.While Governor DeWine had proposed the program’s funding for the next decade in the budget, the legislature had other plans.“The House has removed the mechanism for funding H2Ohio on an ongoing basis and has only funded it for fiscal years 2020 and 2021. They have stated that they are going to work on a standalone bill to find permanent funding for H2Ohio moving forward,” Beadle said, also noting the programs new oversight arm. “The House has also created an H2Ohio Advisory Council. It is an 18-member council that would provide some accountability for H2Ohio,” she said.On the heels of the uncanny vote in Toledo on February 25th known as the Lake Erie Bill of Rights, or LEBOR, the legislature took a stance against the lake’s ability to have standing in court.“There was also an amendment regarding natural ecosystems. It further clarified current law that nature would not have standing in court to sue,” said Beadle.According to Beadle, the budget doesn’t lend any favors to small businesses as they could see sharp tax increases. The proposed budget calls for the business income deduction from $250,000 to $100,000. It also eliminates the 3% flat tax rate that follows that $250,000 figure.“We are still looking into the numbers, but we anticipate that this will affect some of our members, so we have concerns as does the entire business community,” explained Beadle.Notably not making the budget was Representative Susan Manchester (R-Waynesfield) and Representative John Patterson’s (D-Jefferson) bipartisan new farmer incentive bill. Farm Bureau says they aren’t giving up on it just yet.“We will continue to work with the Senate to get the beginning farm tax credit amended into the budget. It is not in the House version of the budget,” said BeadleTaking a step back from agriculture-specific line items and shifting the focus to the other pieces OFBF is watching, The House wants old and unsafe school buses replaced to the tune of $20 million.“This is going to be very beneficial to rural areas that have busses with high miles on them but don’t have the resources to replace those,” Beadle said.Another point that Ohio Farm Bureau took from the budget was that of the Ohio Proud program that helps promote Ohio’s agricultural products.“We have been working to extend the Ohio Proud program to craft beer, cider and spirits, and that language went into the budget. We are excited to see some promotion of agricultural products in the budget,” said Beadle.
Former Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Ludovic Giuly believes Kylian Mbappe is on track to become the equal of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel MessiThe 19-year-old striker has already been in the headlines across Europe for years and was the most expensive signing of the recent summer transfer window at €180m, when PSG made him a permanent member of their squadBut Mbappe’s profile is now at an all-time high following his exploits for France at the World Cup and his impressive start to the season at PSG.This has convinced Giuly that it’s only a matter of time before Mbappe reaches the level of Ronaldo and Messi.“We admire his progress, what he is doing. If he wants to become like Ronaldo or Messi… he’s on the right track,” Giuly told SportsMax.“You have to be consistent. That’s what he does. He has to win titles. That’s what he does. So, it’s up to him to protect himself well and be careful [with] what happens around him.”Giuly, who also had spells with AS Monaco and Barcelona in his playing days, thinks Mbappe could be the one to even end Ronaldo and Messi’s 10-year dominance of the Ballon d’Or.Opinion: Neymar will earn respect back from the PSG fans Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 After completing his incredible return to Parc des Princes, we predict that Neymar will earn the respect back from PSG supporters.The situation between Neymar…The France international is among the thirty names shortlisted for this year’s prize.“There are a lot of players on the list. We would like to see a French player [win it], whether it’s him, whether it’s [Antoine] Griezmann… They have the merit of being in the race to win it.“He is 19 years old, so he has the time to improve. So, if he doesn’t win it this year, he may win it next year or in two years.“That is all we wish [for] him. It’s complicated to win this award right now. But he could win it with what he’s doing today. He’s on the list.”Youngest player Kylian Mbappe pic.twitter.com/AtYZZxINVE— Takunda Matyenyika (@TakundaMatyeny) October 13, 2018
Categories: Good Morning San Diego, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter Jonathan Halvorson, Posted: August 19, 2019 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Reality Changers has developed a nationally-recognized, three-stage college access program that changes realities for high-potential, inner city youth and now has a new President and CEO.According to the organization, after nearly two decades later, Reality Changers now serves nearly 1,000 youth from disadvantaged backgrounds in Southern California every year.Tamara Craver joined Good Morning San Diego to discuss the group.For more information click here. Jonathan Halvorson Reality Changers welcomes a new President and CEO August 19, 2019