New School for Bridgetown Replaces 1950s Buildings

first_imgStudents and teachers in the Bridgetown area will benefit from a new modern school with state-of-the art program spaces and technologies. “We are proud to continue our strong support and investment in education,” said Premier Stephen McNeil. “This new school will provide a modern learning space for students to achieve their goals and will also serve the entire community.” The premier joined students, teachers and staff today, Sept. 25, to celebrate the official opening of the Bridgetown Regional Community School. Almost 500 students are attending the new school. The new school replaces two schools that were both more than 50 years old. The Bridgetown Regional High School and the Bridgetown Regional Elementary School were built in 1952 and 1959, respectively. Students will benefit from facilities for diverse programs in including skilled trades, music and drama, nutrition and textiles. There is also a library, gym and an open area with computers and meeting space for students to interact and do assignments and group work. A village centre creates a connection between the community and the learning environment. Collaboration will foster experimentation, exploration and interaction. The building incorporates environmental design features such as a green roof. The school is on Cromwell Court which was named in recognition of Edith Hope Cromwell, who, in 1934, was the first African Nova Scotian to graduate from Bridgetown High School. She became an admired teacher and principal recognized for leadership and community service in education and cultural diversity. Government invested more than $29 million and worked closely with the Annapolis Valley Regional School Board and the community to create the school for Primary to Grade 12 students.last_img