Australia reported a record 501 new coronavirus infections Wednesday, nearly four months after the pandemic initially peaked in the country, with authorities warning of a critical new phase in its two biggest cities. Most of the cases were reported in Victoria state, where authorities have struggled to bring an outbreak in Melbourne under control despite an almost two-week lockdown on Australia’s second-biggest city. Australia’s new coronavirus infections previously peaked on March 28 when 459 cases were reported, according to data compiled by AFP, before the country appeared to bring the virus under control and began easing harsh restrictions. Australia, like neighboring New Zealand, has been lauded for its pandemic response.Victoria Premier Daniel Andrews announced 484 new cases and two more deaths in the state Wednesday, bringing the state’s total active cases to just over 3,400.Australia has now recorded almost 13,000 cases of COVID-19 and 128 fatalities in a country of about 25 million.Melbourne residents will be required to wear masks outside from midnight — making the city the first place in Australia to mandate face coverings in public — in a new effort to slow the virus spread. But Andrews said “further behavior change” would still be required, after analysis showed almost nine in 10 people diagnosed with coronavirus over the two weeks to Tuesday did not self-isolate between feeling sick and seeking a COVID-19 test.Just over half of people also failed to stay at home between being tested and receiving their results, he added, saying authorities believed insecure work conditions were a key driver of the trend.Andrews said casual workers across a range of industries, who do not get sick leave provisions, were worried about “feeding their kids, paying their bills” but could apply for a Aus$1,500 ($1,070) hardship payment if they contract the virus.There are growing fears about the virus spreading through vulnerable populations after outbreaks at several nursing homes while inmates at six prisons have been confined to their cells after a guard tested positive.The outbreak has left Australia rattled and dampened hopes of a speedy economic recovery. Topics : ‘Most critical’ An inquiry into how the virus spread in Melbourne heard this week that many cases were likely linked to infection control breaches at hotels used to quarantine residents returning from overseas.Victoria has effectively been sealed off from the rest of the country in an effort to contain the virus, but new cases have been detected in neighboring New South Wales state.New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian described the coming weeks as “the most critical” since the height of the last lockdown, when the state held the mantle of Australia’s hardest-hit region.Several clusters have emerged in Sydney, which health officials believe sprung up after an infected man from Melbourne visited a popular pub.”We are not out of the woods by any stretch, quite the opposite,” Berejiklian told a press conference. “We remain on high alert and we have some level of anxiety as to the extent of community transmission.”Berejiklian said new restrictions would come into force Friday to tighten rules for bars, cafes, weddings and funerals, warning they could still be extended further.”A lack of compliance now has made us go down the compulsory path and we don’t apologize for that,” she said.Some states and territories were due to report daily figures later Wednesday but new community outbreaks have not been detected in less-populated regions for weeks.
Sharing is caring! Share LocalNews New solar company promises to reduce electricity cost by 25% by: – February 14, 2012 Share Tweet 64 Views 2 comments Share Installation box Managing Director of O.D Brisbane and Sons (Dominica) Limited Jerry Brisbane has teamed up with a local and foreign company to set up a new initiative geared at reducing the cost of electricity in Dominica.The company on Tuesday officially launched Bristol, a company that will supply and install solar electric technology and other alternative green energy sources in Dominica.Brisbane said the company has already installed a large grid connected photovoltaic system at its premises in Canefield.He said to further ensure proper set up of the systems, Burton and Company has been included for local technical support.He said DOMLEC and the International Regulatory Commission have also been consulted (IRC) before the project got off the ground.“How much electricity one consumes will depend on how much they pay for installation. Anyone who will be interested in the system must follow some basic guidelines. We will require some information about what is their consumption, whether it’s their business of their house. We also will request their DOMLEC bill to know what the average consumption is. We will take that information along with others including the roof and solar…” he explained.He said there are limitations to solar power, especially those who are surrounded by a lot of trees.Meantime Regional Company Grensol from Grenada is supplying and installing the solar electrical system.Managing Director Kevin Burkhart told Tuesday press conference that new solar systems will reduce the cost of electricity by 25 percent every month.“You will still be connected to DOMLEC but you will have a second source powered by the sun and reduces your bill as soon as possible.What it does it feeds back the power to DOMLEC and the meter starts reversing backwards. This will reduce the consumption by a quarter a month on your bill,” he explained.He said however, if DOMLEC’s power system is down this will affect the new solar system as well.Managing Director of Burton and Company Trevor Burton says the new solar system coincides with Governments latest move to provide natural energy to Dominicans.He said several Dominicans will be employed on the new project.Some of their task includes setting up, installation and monitoring of the solar systems.“It will lower your energy cost and the payback is in less than five years. This means that in less than five years, what you have spent for the system will be paid back by what you have saved on your electric bill. This is critical because after five years, your electrical energy won’t cost you anything,” he added.Dominica Vibes News
James D. Knight, 62, of Aurora, Indiana, passed away Monday July 23, 2018.He was born November 4, 1955 in Milan, IN, son of Nedra “Joann” (Walker) Knight and the late James H. Knight.David served his country as a member of the United States Army.He worked as a Truck Driver. David was a former member of the Aurora American Legion and the Aurora VFW.David enjoyed going to the Rising Star Casino with his family. He was a very talented artist; he sketched amazing scenery pictures, castles and portraits. He loved Virginia Beach, fishing, Blue Grass Music and westerns, and he enjoyed tinkering around the garage. David had a wry sense of humor.David is survived by his mother, Joanne Knight and his son, Wade G. Knight, both of Aurora, IN; cousins, Lynn Holtegel, Janice Smith, Keith Rozin, Shelley DiPierro, Jim DiPierro and Mike DiPierro.He was preceded in death by his father, James H. Knight, and a brother, Daniel L. Knight.Services will be held at the convenience of the family.Contributions may be made to the Charity of Choice. Please call the funeral home office at (812) 926-1450 and we will notify the family of your donation with a card.Visit: www.rullmans.com
After being suspended for two games by the Pirates, reportedly for an altercation with a team employee, reliever Keone Kela returned to the clubhouse Wednesday. He did not, however, provide any sort of clarity about the situation.Ahead of the Pirates’ contest vs. the Cardinals, Kela told reporters he didn’t know why he’d been disciplined. Uh, what?Keone Kela on the accuracy of the report that he got into it with team employee Hector Morales: “I wouldn’t say it’s not true. I wouldn’t say it’s fact.”— Jason Mackey (@JMackeyPG) July 24, 2019The Pirates are now “more than willing” to trade Kela before the July 31 deadline, according to The Athletic. They’re 46-54 and potentially on the verge of a rebuild, so exchanging a disgruntled reliever for prospects would make sense.Maybe we’ll figure out what happened with Kela behind the scenes if he’s sent to another organization. “I’ve been told as much as you guys have seen on Twitter,” he said.Actual words spoken by #Pirates Keone Kela, when asked about incident that led to his suspension: “What happened? Nothing happened.”Why was he suspended?Kela: “I don’t know. I’ve been told as much as you guys have seen on twitter.”Ok, then.— Rob Biertempfel (@RobBiertempfel) July 24, 2019MORE: Watch live MLB games all season long on fuboTV (7-day free trial)Kela was explicitly asked if he’d gotten into an exchange with a Pirates staff member.He replied: “I wouldn’t say it’s not true. I wouldn’t say it’s fact.”