Tag Archives: 上海夜网GW

John Gillon’s program-record free-throw streak endures, one shot at a time

first_imgLOUISVILLE, Ky. — Never in his life had John Gillon struggled more from the free-throw line than the moment he arrived at the Carrier Dome.The 15 feet between the free-throw line and the backboard can seem a lot farther in the cavernous spaces of a 49,250-person venue whose ceiling is 165 feet above the court. When Syracuse began play on Jan. 28 against Florida State, the 6-foot point guard had made 74.5 percent of his free throws in 21 games. That’s a respectable rate for most players, yet missing one-in-four foul shots boggled Gillon.He needed an opportunity to reintroduce himself as the player who put up historical free-throw numbers at Colorado State. Against FSU, he delivered. Gillon made his first five free throws before missing, then proceeded to make his last eight to seal SU’s first upset win of the season. He hasn’t missed since.“Ever since then,” Gillon said, “the comfort I felt from those free throws just stuck with me.”There haven’t been many constants in the Orange’s season. Aside from unpredictable wins and losses, player performance has fluctuated throughout the year. Even Andrew White’s shot, seemingly the most reliable of any on Syracuse, has almost disappeared over the last couple of games. It’s now Gillon who wields the most consistent shot for SU, strictly from the free-throw line. He’s made a program-record 47 consecutive free throws since he last missed against FSU.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textGillon’s streak is the fourth longest in Atlantic Coast Conference history, and he’s made an ACC-best 93 percent of his free throws since conference play began. Each shot counts for only one point, but over the nine games that span Gillon’s streak, only one of Syracuse’s (17-13, 9-8 Atlantic Coast) five wins would still stand after erasing Gillon’s free throws. His run of perfection is equal parts bizarre and impressive, but Gillon isn’t thinking about that. He’s not thinking about anything.“He’s confident, man,” SU assistant coach Adrian Autry said. “When he steps up there he knows he’s making them. He has the same technique and he shoots them and he makes them. It’s not even a thought for him.”Success at the foul line is nothing new for the Colorado State transfer. In two seasons with the Rams, Gillon made a team-leading 84 percent of his free throws. During the 2015-16 season Gillon, he finished with an 87.9 free-throw percentage, 10th-best in program history. Only seven other Colorado State players had ever made more than the 152 free throws that Gillon made in 2015-16. He even won a game with a last-second free throw against UNLV.Gillon thinks he pulled off a similar free-throw streak with the Rams, but isn’t sure how long it lasted. In terms of his current streak, at least one of his teammates wasn’t even aware of what’s been unfolding. Freshman guard Tyus Battle was taken aback, widening his eyes when told about Gillon’s 47 consecutive free throws. As a fellow first-year SU player, one who hasn’t had a perfect free-throw game in a month, Battle was mightily impressed that Gillon could pull off his feat while shooting in the Carrier Dome.“That is crazy,” Battle said. “Forty-seven straight, man. We know John can knock down his free throws. He likes to get to the basket, so he’s going to get fouled and he’s going to go to the line.“… (But) I didn’t know that was a number. That’s great.”Players say there’s an adjustment period when shooting free throws in the Carrier Dome. The depth perception is different from almost any other basketball venue, especially when the stands behind the basket are relatively empty. Battle said he finds it easier to shoot against the backdrop of packed bleachers than empty ones.Autry doesn’t buy into any perception theories. He just wants players to look at the rim. Forward Taurean Thompson doesn’t know what to think. He “never missed” his foul shots in high school, but has made only 65.2 percent of them in his freshman season. Gillon will hear about the theories, but none of them concern him anymore. He knows he’s going to make it every time.“He doesn’t think about how many he’s made in a row,” Autry said. “It’s just an opportunity for him to go up there and make two free throws. That’s how he looks at it. I’m sure of that.” Comments Published on March 1, 2017 at 12:47 am Contact Connor: cgrossma@syr.edu | @connorgrossman Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Wladimir Klitschko wants to fight Deontay Wilder, Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury at 43

first_img LIVE TV Written By Let me entertain you with this and you can like it ❤️ or not: Fury 🆚 Klitschko 2— Klitschko (@Klitschko) December 14, 2019 Wladimir Klitschko is not done yet. He wants to return inside the boxing ring against the top-rated heavyweight boxers of the world. The 43-year-old veteran decided to hang up his boxing gloves after two back to back defeats against Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua in 2015 and 2017 respectively. However, Wladimir Klitschko believes that he can still outbox his rivals. He is determined to make a comeback against his former rivals Tyson Fury, Anthony Joshua and WBC Heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder. Raj Sarkar Let me entertain you with this and you can like it ❤️ or not: Joshua 🆚 Klitschko 2— Klitschko (@Klitschko) December 14, 2019 Also Read | Mike Tyson Feels That He Could Never Have Beaten Muhammad Ali At His PrimeAlso Read | Tyson Fury Pays Heartfelt Tribute To Mike Tyson, Calls Him The OG “bad Man” Of Boxing SUBSCRIBE TO US COMMENTcenter_img Last Updated: 18th December, 2019 20:17 IST Wladimir Klitschko Wants To Fight Deontay Wilder, Anthony Joshua And Tyson Fury At 43 Wladimir Klitschko feels that he can entertain fans with three major fights on his return. Know Wladimir Klitschko’s wishlist regarding his major return. Let me entertain you with this and you can like it ❤️ or not: Wilder 🆚 Klitschko— Klitschko (@Klitschko) December 14, 2019 WATCH US LIVE Also Read | Dillian Whyte Takes Shots At Deontay Wilder, Anthony Joshua, Tyson Fury And Andy Ruiz JrWladimir Klitschko dominated the entire heavyweight division as a world champion. This was until he faced Tyson Fury. The Gyspy King dethroned Klitschko in a stunning upset in 2015 and Wladimir Klitschko left the sport of boxing for a couple of years. The Ukranian legend made a comeback in 2017 against Anthony Joshua but ended up getting knocked out. Soon, he announced his retirement. Well, it seems like he is ready to avenge both the losses. If it really happens, there is no doubt that heavyweight boxing is going to have one of its grandest nights ever. First Published: 16th December, 2019 22:57 IST Also Read | Anthony Joshua Takes Tips From Wladimir Klitschko Ahead Of Rematch With Andy Ruiz JrWladimir Klitschko wants to fight Tyson Fury, Deontay Wilder and Anthony JoshuaIt is a great time for heavyweight boxing and Wladimir Klitschko definitely wants to take a piece of it. Anthony Joshua recently regained his WBA (Super), WBO, IBF, IBA heavyweight titles by defeating Andy Ruiz Jr at ‘Clash on the Dunes’. However, the world has already seen that Anthony Joshua can be outboxed and knocked out.Deontay Wilder was also going to face a similar fate when Luis Ortiz almost knocked him out in their re-match. However, the ‘Bronze Bomber’ did not let that happen and shut down all his critics with a vicious right hand. Truly, it was a sight to behold. In his recent tweets, the former Champion Wladimir Klitschko teased us with the probability of mega-fights by calling out Deontay Wilder, Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury. No wonder, fans have already given a ‘thumbs up’ to Wladimir Klitschko’s fight proposals. Take a look at the call outs. FOLLOW USlast_img read more

Pirates’ Keone Kela issues bizarre responses when asked about suspension

first_imgAfter being suspended for two games by the Pirates, reportedly for an altercation with a team employee, reliever Keone Kela returned to the clubhouse Wednesday. He did not, however, provide any sort of clarity about the situation.Ahead of the Pirates’ contest vs. the Cardinals, Kela told reporters he didn’t know why he’d been disciplined. Uh, what?Keone Kela on the accuracy of the report that he got into it with team employee Hector Morales: “I wouldn’t say it’s not true. I wouldn’t say it’s fact.”— Jason Mackey (@JMackeyPG) July 24, 2019The Pirates are now “more than willing” to trade Kela before the July 31 deadline, according to The Athletic. They’re 46-54 and potentially on the verge of a rebuild, so exchanging a disgruntled reliever for prospects would make sense.Maybe we’ll figure out what happened with Kela behind the scenes if he’s sent to another organization. “I’ve been told as much as you guys have seen on Twitter,” he said.Actual words spoken by #Pirates Keone Kela, when asked about incident that led to his suspension: “What happened? Nothing happened.”Why was he suspended?Kela: “I don’t know. I’ve been told as much as you guys have seen on twitter.”Ok, then.— Rob Biertempfel (@RobBiertempfel) July 24, 2019MORE: Watch live MLB games all season long on fuboTV (7-day free trial)Kela was explicitly asked if he’d gotten into an exchange with a Pirates staff member.He replied: “I wouldn’t say it’s not true. I wouldn’t say it’s fact.”last_img read more

Challenges faced by Marudi miners remain sectoral issue – Harmon

first_img…even as miners threaten showdown with RomanexSmall miners in Rupununi, Region Nine (Upper Takutu-Upper Essequibo) are threatening a showdown with the Canadian company Romanex Guyana Exploration Ltd if the Government does not intervene and come up with a viable solution to the ongoing dispute over mining in the Marudi Mountain.However, despite these threats and pleas, Minister of State, Joseph Harmon said that the issue remained a sectoral one and would be dealt with by the Natural Resources Ministry.Flashback: Natural Resources Minister Raphael Trotman with the miners during an outreach“Marudi has been in the news for many years. (Natural Resources) Minister (Raphael) Trotman has made some clear statements on the Marudi issue, but I can’t say that it is something that has engaged the level of Central Government as of right now. It is still a sectoral issue within the Ministry of Natural Resources; at this point in time, the statement made by Minister Trotman will be the statements the Government will support,” Harmon said in an invited comment.In a letter to the press, Rupununi Mining Association President Marlon Johnson outlined that mining activities in Marudi Mountain were at a standstill affecting thousands of people. He explained that Romanex had acquired the rights for the concession for decades now, but has not started any mining. Since the apparent abandonment, the small miners in the area started working two mountains that contain gold and that gold is found in the rocks, which means that it has to be processed with crushers.He added that there were currently 70 crushers working, each employing a minimum of five persons. Johnson, in his letter, stated that over two years now, they have been waiting to have the issue addressed with promises from both Minister Trotman and President David Granger.He related that there were several persons who have had their properties sized by the banks because they were unable to pay their loans.“The way I see this situation is that we are at a breaking point now, and everyone is getting desperate. There are talks of rioting against the company in order to recommence working,” he stated.“Romanex owners are calling the small miners ‘savages’ and ‘hungry belly’ and other names to that effect; and as I have mentioned before, these people have really been stretched out, and they are at breaking point now. The miners have decided that if they cannot get the appropriate approval from the Government by the end of the new week, they will go ahead and start back working with or without approval!” he further stated.In April of 2016, Minister Trotman initiated a mediation process among the Amerindian villages of Aishalton, Awariwaunau, Karaudanawa, Achiwuib, Shulinab, Maruranau, Shea and Potarinau; miners and Romanex Guyana Exploration Ltd.Following the mediation, an agreement outlining solutions to the dispute was signed by the overseas mining company, Toshaos of the Amerindian villages, the Rupununi Miners Association and the Guyana Women Miners Organisation. One of the agreed terms of this agreement is that the company, on commencement of exploration and mining, would accommodate miners seeking to mine in the area, provided that they abide by the rules of the company and the laws of Guyana, including the non-use of mercury in their recovery.In September 2016, Trotman formally ordered the reactivation of the mining licence of Romanex Guyana Exploration Ltd, thus paving the way for that company to undertake exploration and mining activities in the Marudi Mountain area.Since July 2016, the residents have been complaining of a breach in the agreement. The concerns were raised by residents with Minister within the Natural Resources Ministry, Simona Broomes during an outreach to the South Rupununi. Broomes had met with 200 residents and said that the residents informed her that the situation had worsened since they signed an agreement to resolve the issue with Romanex.Further, the residents indicated that aside from the breach in the agreement, there have been increased illicit activities such as trafficking in persons and drugs. Since then, the Government is yet to take any corrective step to remedy the situation.The residents say that they are being forced to close down their shops and other businesses since there are little business opportunities for them.They are reiterating their calls to have the issue addressed. Repeated efforts to contact both Natural Resources Ministers proved futile.last_img read more